Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Hormones are chemicals that are secreted by the human endocrine system such as the pineal gland, the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland and the thyroid gland. They act as messengers and are carried by the bloodstream to transport important information to specific cells in order to regulate body processes associated with reproduction, metabolism, and growth.
Types of Sex Hormones
There are three main types of sex hormones. These are:
- Estrogen: Estrogen is secreted primarily by the female ovaries. It helps to stimulate the development of secondary sex characterises in females such as breasts and pubic hair. Some other important functions of estrogen are:
- Regulates the menstrual cycle while helping to promote growth of the inner lining of the uterus during the cycle.
- Improves lubrication of the vagina and thickens the vaginal wall.
- Prevents osteoporosis by increasing bone formation.
- Maintains the health of the cardiovascular system and reduces blood pressure by relaxing the lining of blood vessels and preventing the deposition of plaque.
- Helps improve mental health, learning abilities and memory.
- Progesterone: Progesterone is also formed in the ovaries after ovulation. Some of its important functions are:
- Maintains a balance with estrogen to stimulate growth of the breasts, regulate the menstrual cycle, and prevent side effects caused by the increase in estrogen.
- Prepares and maintains the uterus for pregnancy.
- Acts as a natural anti-depressant and promotes sound sleep.
- Helps the body get rid of excess of water since it is a natural diuretic.
- Relieves menopausal symptoms, joint pain and fatigue.
- Normalizes blood sugar levels.
- Testosterone: Testosterone is a male sex hormone that is important for the development of secondary sexual characteristics. This hormone is also found in women, but in very low amounts. Low testosterone levels in men cause aging while excessive secretion of this hormone in women leads to acne, a deep husky voice, excessive facial growth, and so on. A few of the functions of testosterone are:
- Stimulates the formation of the male reproductive organs.
- Increases the synthesis of protein and enhances muscle mass.
- Promotes endurance which helps with physical activity and exercise.
- Helps prevent heart disease by keeping cholesterol levels in check.
Why Are Hormones Important For Your Body?
The formation and secretion of hormones is essential for the healthy functioning of the body. Hormones stimulate growth, control the immune system, and regulate metabolism, sexual functions, and the reproductive cycle. They work to repair, rejuvenate and restore your body. As you age, the hormone levels tend to decline, reducing the body’s capacity to work optimally. This hormonal imbalance can have serious negative effects on the health of the affected person.
What Is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
It has become essential for both women and men to keep their hormones in balance to protect against aging and to enjoy an overall sense of well-being. Physical exercise and diet do play an important role in balancing the hormones, but they alone are not effective. For optimal health, you need a bio-identical hormone replacement therapy that helps to naturally stimulate your hormone levels.
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is an innovative technology for treating hormonal imbalance. This therapy helps to restore your body’s balance of important hormones, which in turn reduces the effects of stress, signs of early menopause and other age related problems.
Bio-identical hormones have the same molecular structure as the hormones that are secreted by your own body. They are obtained from soy and other natural plant sources. The human body easily recognizes these hormones and uses them for the regulation of various bodily functions.